December 16, 2017, 04:42:55 PM
  Print  
Author Topic: Use of domain pointers  (Read 3661 times)
JEfromCanada
Members

View Profile
« on: February 12, 2006, 12:39:08 AM »

I have registered several variants of a domain name, so that people making small mistakes in their typing will still be able to find my domain.  I wish to only have one set of content (i.e. no matter which domain name you enter, it should go to the same set of web pages).

Does your paid hosting support the use of domain pointers, or does each domain name count as a different one.  I hate to have to host several domains, with identical content for each, and have to maintain all those different copies separately.

If, on the other hand, your paid domain service works like the totally free plan, where you set up a "master" domain, and define all the others as virtual domains under the master domain, would this work the way I needed it to?
chazco
Popular Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2006, 07:45:12 AM »

I'm not certain, but i think you can have all domain names pointed to one set of files. You used to be able to on the free plan as well i think.

Gideon
50Webs moderators
Experienced Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2006, 10:15:36 AM »

I don't see how this can be done so I am not sure, there is no tab in the paid plans called 'domain pointer' so I doubt it is supported but I am not sure. Wait for Site Admin's reply.

Hellooooooooo
XYLEM
Administrator
Experienced Member

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2006, 11:52:20 AM »

You can do this in 3 ways.

1. Go to your Subdomain manager menu and modify the paths to the domain names to point to the master domain name's folder (click on the edit icon next to any subdomain and in the next menu replace the path).

2. You can just use a simple redirection script for each domain name :

Upload an 'index.html' file in the subdomain/domain's directory and add the following code into the file:

<body>
<SCRIPT>setTimeout('javascript:window.location="http://www.redirectionURL.com"',200);</SCRIPT>
</body>

Just change the redirection URL (http://www.redirectionURL.com)with the desired web address.

3. Upgrade the plan to the SSH service and make --symbolic link.
cd www/
ln -s domain1.com domain2.com
ln -s domain1.com domain3.com

Now all content uploaded to domain1.com folder will be visible in all other domain folders too.

Regards
Gazurkoff

sawanbanna
Administrator
Experienced Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2006, 09:19:29 PM »

Quote from: "XYLEM"
1. Go to your Subdomain manager menu and modify the paths to the domain names to point to the master domain name's folder (click on the edit icon next to any subdomain and in the next menu replace the path).

This way is the best on paid plans!

Best Regards,
sawanbanna
50Webs Support Volunteer

-="DO NOT ADJUST YOUR MIND, THERE IS A FAULT IN REALITY"=-
rcl
Noobie

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2006, 11:54:39 PM »

Just a question (still not clear for me), would option 1 be used to have two domains (domain1.com and domain2.com) call the same information? Please correct me but I understand tha sub domains are more like sub1.domain.com and sub2.domain.com. Thanks! (sorry for the dumb question)
sawanbanna
Administrator
Experienced Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2006, 12:40:11 AM »

it's simple way to do...when you add your domains into your account...then after you added the domain...you will have the choice to make your own home folders...
for example:
1. www.sawanbanna.com (I use my home folder for this domain) www/sawanbanna folder
1. www.bannork.be (I also point to my home folder) www/sawanbanna folder

so this way you don't have nothing to do with it, in paid plan you will see this option to point your domain/sub domain to any home folder...

Best Regards,
sawanbanna
50Webs Support Volunteer

-="DO NOT ADJUST YOUR MIND, THERE IS A FAULT IN REALITY"=-
XYLEM
Administrator
Experienced Member

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2006, 01:44:02 AM »

Also watch this tutorial : Editing a subdomain (virtualhost)

Regards
Gazurkoff

antimatter
Experienced Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2006, 05:22:34 AM »

Im starting to appreciate ur services even more!

Organisation européenne pour la recherche nucléaire

XYLEM
Administrator
Experienced Member

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2006, 10:20:46 AM »

Thank you.

Print  

Jump to: